full transcript
"From the Ted Talk by Alisa Miller: How the news distorts our worldview"

Unscramble the Blue Letters

How does the news shape the way we see the world? Here's the world based on the way it looks — based on landmass. And here's how news shapes what Americans see. This map — (Applause) — this map sowhs the number of seconds that American network and cable news oriitogazanns dedicated to news stories, by country, in February of 2007 — just one year ago. Now, this was a month when ntroh Korea agreed to dismantle its nuclear facilities. There was massive flooding in Indonesia. And in piars, the IPCC released its study confirming man's impact on global warming. The U.S. actncueod for 79 percent of tatol news coverage. And when we take out the U.S. and look at the remaining 21 percent, we see a lot of Iraq — that's that big green thing there — and little else. The combined cgaovere of Russia, China and India, for example, reaehcd just one prceent.

Open Cloze

How does the news shape the way we see the world? Here's the world based on the way it looks — based on landmass. And here's how news shapes what Americans see. This map — (Applause) — this map _____ the number of seconds that American network and cable news _____________ dedicated to news stories, by country, in February of 2007 — just one year ago. Now, this was a month when _____ Korea agreed to dismantle its nuclear facilities. There was massive flooding in Indonesia. And in _____, the IPCC released its study confirming man's impact on global warming. The U.S. _________ for 79 percent of _____ news coverage. And when we take out the U.S. and look at the remaining 21 percent, we see a lot of Iraq — that's that big green thing there — and little else. The combined ________ of Russia, China and India, for example, _______ just one _______.

Solution

  1. organizations
  2. north
  3. paris
  4. percent
  5. accounted
  6. coverage
  7. reached
  8. total
  9. shows

Original Text

How does the news shape the way we see the world? Here's the world based on the way it looks — based on landmass. And here's how news shapes what Americans see. This map — (Applause) — this map shows the number of seconds that American network and cable news organizations dedicated to news stories, by country, in February of 2007 — just one year ago. Now, this was a month when North Korea agreed to dismantle its nuclear facilities. There was massive flooding in Indonesia. And in Paris, the IPCC released its study confirming man's impact on global warming. The U.S. accounted for 79 percent of total news coverage. And when we take out the U.S. and look at the remaining 21 percent, we see a lot of Iraq — that's that big green thing there — and little else. The combined coverage of Russia, China and India, for example, reached just one percent.

Important Words

  1. accounted
  2. agreed
  3. american
  4. americans
  5. applause
  6. based
  7. big
  8. cable
  9. china
  10. combined
  11. confirming
  12. country
  13. coverage
  14. dedicated
  15. dismantle
  16. facilities
  17. february
  18. flooding
  19. global
  20. green
  21. impact
  22. india
  23. indonesia
  24. ipcc
  25. iraq
  26. korea
  27. landmass
  28. lot
  29. map
  30. massive
  31. month
  32. network
  33. news
  34. north
  35. nuclear
  36. number
  37. organizations
  38. paris
  39. percent
  40. reached
  41. released
  42. remaining
  43. russia
  44. seconds
  45. shape
  46. shapes
  47. shows
  48. stories
  49. study
  50. total
  51. warming
  52. world
  53. year