full transcript

From the Ted Talk by Aleph Molinari: Let's bridge the digital divide!

Unscramble the Blue Letters

Why does this heppan? It happens because of 3 things. The first is that people can't get access to these technologies because they can't afford them. The second is because they don't know how to use them. The third is because they don't know the bnfeties derived from technology. So let's consider some very bsiac statistics. The population of the world is nearly seven billion people. Out of these, approximately two billion are digitally included. This is approximately 30% of the entire world population, which means that the remaining 70% of the wrold — close to five billion people — do not have access to a computer or the internet. Let's think about that number for a second. Five billion people; that's four times the population of India, that have never toeuchd a computer, have never accessed the internet. So this is a digital abyss that we're tinalkg about, this is not a digital divide.

Open Cloze

Why does this ______? It happens because of 3 things. The first is that people can't get access to these technologies because they can't afford them. The second is because they don't know how to use them. The third is because they don't know the ________ derived from technology. So let's consider some very _____ statistics. The population of the world is nearly seven billion people. Out of these, approximately two billion are digitally included. This is approximately 30% of the entire world population, which means that the remaining 70% of the _____ — close to five billion people — do not have access to a computer or the internet. Let's think about that number for a second. Five billion people; that's four times the population of India, that have never _______ a computer, have never accessed the internet. So this is a digital abyss that we're _______ about, this is not a digital divide.

Solution

  1. basic
  2. world
  3. talking
  4. happen
  5. touched
  6. benefits

Original Text

Why does this happen? It happens because of 3 things. The first is that people can't get access to these technologies because they can't afford them. The second is because they don't know how to use them. The third is because they don't know the benefits derived from technology. So let's consider some very basic statistics. The population of the world is nearly seven billion people. Out of these, approximately two billion are digitally included. This is approximately 30% of the entire world population, which means that the remaining 70% of the world — close to five billion people — do not have access to a computer or the internet. Let's think about that number for a second. Five billion people; that's four times the population of India, that have never touched a computer, have never accessed the internet. So this is a digital abyss that we're talking about, this is not a digital divide.

Frequently Occurring Word Combinations

ngrams of length 2

collocation frequency
digital divide 4
digitally excluded 3
bring education 3
billion people 2
internet connections 2
north america 2
trillion dollars 2

Important Words

  1. abyss
  2. access
  3. accessed
  4. afford
  5. approximately
  6. basic
  7. benefits
  8. billion
  9. close
  10. computer
  11. derived
  12. digital
  13. digitally
  14. divide
  15. entire
  16. happen
  17. included
  18. india
  19. internet
  20. means
  21. number
  22. people
  23. population
  24. remaining
  25. statistics
  26. talking
  27. technologies
  28. technology
  29. times
  30. touched
  31. world