550. Indication -- N. indication; symbolism, symbolization; semiology, semiotics, semeiology , semeiotics ; Zeitgeist.
551. Record -- N. trace, vestige, relic, remains; scar, cicatrix; footstep, footmark , footprint; pug; track mark, wake, trail, scent, piste .
552. [Suppression of sign.] Obliteration -- N. obliteration; erasure, rasure ; cancel, cancellation; circumduction ; deletion, blot; tabula rasa [Lat.] ; effacement, extinction.
553. Recorder -- N. recorder, notary, clerk; registrar, registrary , register; prothonotary [Law] ; amanuensis, secretary, scribe, babu , remembrancer , bookkeeper, custos rotulorum [Lat.] , Master of the Rolls.
554. Representation -- N. representation, representment ; imitation &c 19; illustration, delineation, depictment ; imagery, portraiture, iconography; design, designing; art, fine arts; painting &c 556; sculpture &c 557; engraving &c 558; photography, cinematography; radiography, autoradiography [Bioch.] , fluorography [Chem] , sciagraphy .
555. Misrepresentation -- N. misrepresentation, distortion, caricatura , exaggeration; daubing &c v.; bad likeness, daub, sign painting; scratch, caricature; anamorphosis ; burlesque, falsification, misstatement; parody, lampoon, take-off, travesty.
556. Painting -- N. painting; depicting; drawing &c v.; design; perspective, sciagraphy , skiagraphy ; chiaroscuro &c (light) 420; composition; treatment.
557. Sculpture -- N. sculpture, insculpture ; carving &c v.; statuary.
558. Engraving -- N. engraving, chalcography ; line engraving, mezzotint engraving, stipple engraving, chalk engraving; dry point, bur; etching, aquatinta ; chiseling; plate engraving, copperplate engraving, steel engraving, wood engraving; xylography, lignography , glyptography , cerography , lithography, chromolithography , photolithography, zincography , glyphography, xylograph, lignograph , glyptograph , cerograph , lithograph, chromolithograph, photolithograph, zincograph , glyphograph , holograph.
559. Artist -- N. artist; painter, limner, drawer, sketcher, designer, engraver; master, old master; draftsman, draughtsman; copyist, dauber, hack; enamel, enameler, enamelist; caricaturist.